About Me

My photo
I am a mother of two and live on the Surf Coast in Victoria. I finished my Diploma in Professional Writing and Editing in 2005. I love writing for children although I write short stories and articles for adults too. I have had three books published, two are educational readers, but would love to have a trade book published. I'm working on it! We have two cats, a dog who loves running on the beach and a bunny.

My books

My books

PiBoldMo2013

PiBoldMo2013
Click on logo to join this challenge. 30 ideas in 30 days

Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Highly Commended in Poetry Comp

Lorraine Marwood recently ran a poetry competition called 'Note on the Door' after her recently released book of same name.

From four topics, I chose 'A family note' and entered my poem, Summer Night, which was highly commended.

I can't tell you how thrilled I was at this result. I talked about it for days. Here is the poem:

Summer Night
Too hot to sleep, kick off sheet,
tiptoe downstairs
and out into the cool night air.
Earth's night light so still and round,
resting in a blanket of stars.
A creaking board, movement, a hug,
Mum's out here too.
Thanks to Lorraine I created this poem and loved the opportunity to submit to her competition. I just love Lorraine's style and enjoyed her book, Star Jumps which won the Prime Minister's Literary Award, 2010.
The experience has ignited my interest in poetry.

No comments:

Post a Comment