About Me

My photo
I am a mother of two and live on the Surf Coast in Victoria. I finished my Diploma in Professional Writing and Editing in 2005. I love writing for children although I write short stories and articles for adults too. I have had three books published, two are educational readers, but would love to have a trade book published. I'm working on it! We have two cats, a dog who loves running on the beach and a bunny.

My books

My books

PiBoldMo2013

PiBoldMo2013
Click on logo to join this challenge. 30 ideas in 30 days

Friday, September 16, 2011

Moment with a Mentor

On Saturday 10th September I went to Albury to attend the 'Write around the Murray' Festival. Well, I only managed to attend one session which was 'Moment with a Mentor'. There were other sessions I would like to have attended but I had to decide whether to catch up with my cousin who I hadn't seen for twenty years, or attend readings and a dinner. Of course I would have loved to attend as many writing sessions as possible but I knew that if I left Albury without seeing my cousin, that I would have missed a great opportunity. It was wonderful to see my cousin.
That aside, I met with Jenny Darling the next morning. Jenny was a lovely person who put me at ease immediately. I knew that her Literary Agency was a top one so I felt quite intimidated. Our half hour together was gone in a flash. We talked about the ten pages which I submitted from my children's book. We discussed the title, the blurb, the genre, the beginning, writing to strengths, character names, plot problems and being disciplined in setting aside time to write. It was a unique opportunity for me to chat with an agent. To gain knowledge from a professional, one on one, is a gem. I hope that next year I will earn other such opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment