About Me

My photo
I am a mother of two and live on the Surf Coast in Victoria. I finished my Diploma in Professional Writing and Editing in 2005. I love writing for children although I write short stories and articles for adults too. I have had three books published, two are educational readers, but would love to have a trade book published. I'm working on it! We have two cats, a dog who loves running on the beach and a bunny.

My books

My books

PiBoldMo2013

PiBoldMo2013
Click on logo to join this challenge. 30 ideas in 30 days

Monday, November 28, 2011

Special Mention KBR Award

The fabulous people at Kids Book Review held an inaugural competition for an unpublished Picture Book. I entered my picture book manuscript called The Best of Friends in the Unpublished Author category as I have not had a trade book published.

Although I was not a winner, I was delighted to receive a Special Mention that indicated the KBR judges thought the story was either beautifully written or had a unique or brilliant story idea. I'm pretty happy with any of these comments.

So I have more work to do on The Best of Friends and certainly appreciate the encouragement. When I need a break from my major project which is a historical fiction story for younger readers, I will revisit my Picture Book Manuscript with fresh eyes. And the story will become all the better for it.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Kaye, happy to meet you via the KBR comp.
    Congratulations.
    I will follow you for a while as we are on the same journey.. picture books and young adult fiction book.
    Nice to read you.
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kristy
      I must be a terrible blogger to have missed your comment.
      How is your writing going since last November? I fared about the same with this year's KBR comp, finished in top 6%. But I'm working harder now than ever before and more determined. Congratulations to you too - it is lovely to be acknowledged.

      Delete
  2. Woo hoo! That is awesome news Kaye.
    I have tried writing for younger children and whoa, it's so difficult! I have an eight year old boy so I *should* know my target market, but that doesn't make it any easier.

    I agree, time away from a manuscript makes it all so much clearer when you get back to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Ebony. Getting a bit of recognition does a lot for the spirit. Great that such competitions exist. Have sent MS off to my appraisal guru again and will take another look at it then. Thanks for your reply. Kaye

    ReplyDelete